Firefighters extinguish chimney blaze in Purbeck

Wareham and Poole firefighters were called into action to put out a chimney fire in East Stoke, near Wareham.

The crews received the call at 1:38 pm on Wednesday 17th March 2021. 

Advertisement 

Upon reaching the property on Wareham Road, the firefighters put out the blaze with a chimney kit and a hose reel jet. The job was finished by 2.26 pm.

Stay safe from chimney fires

A Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said:

“A clean chimney can help prevent fires and structural damage to your property. Regular cleaning of your chimney or flue will eliminate the build-up of soot and clear obstructions such as bird or animal nests, leaves and debris.

“It is not enough to use a vacuum cleaner and you should make sure that your chimney or flue is inspected regularly.”

Chimney on fire
Library Image / DW FIRE AND RESCUE

Chimney cleaning

The fire service advises that people have their chimneys cleaned:

  • At least once a year when using smokeless fuels
  • At least once a year when using bituminous coal
  • Every three months when burning wood
  • Once a year when using oil
  • Once a year when using gas

Share this story

Contact us

Do you have anything to add to this story?

We like to keep everything up-to-date, so if you know more, please help us by getting in touch.

Advertisement 

Top stories

Most recent

Chance to come and sing in Swanage with top musicians New dates have been announced for the opportunity to tune up the vocal cords and get expert tuition from distinguished church musicians at St Mary’s Church. 18 hours ago New Salt Pig eatery in Studland replaces old Middle Beach cafe 2 days ago Power lines to be buried to restore beauty spot near Swanage 3 days ago Watch out for ‘floating terrors’ washing up on Purbeck beaches 4 days ago Swanage woman jailed for stealing cash from Dorset Police 5 days ago