Firefighters tackled a garden shed fire in Swanage that was so fierce that the decision was made to ask residents from a nearby block of flats to leave their homes in the middle of the night.
Two crews from Swanage Fire Station were called to the High Street at 12.16 am on Thursday 15th April 2021, where the sheds were ablaze. The fire was just off the High Street on the stretch after the Black Swan Pub and just before the Swanage Legion.
Damaged the balcony of a nearby property
Two firefighters in breathing apparatus used hose reel jets to put out the fire, which by then had burnt down the sheds and even damaged the balcony of a nearby property.
Residents including children had to assemble outside in their nightwear or whatever they were wearing at the time.
It is still unknown what started the blaze, although a fire service spokesperson said it is believed to be an accident.
Fire “destroyed the sheds”
A spokesperson for Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said:
“We were called to the High Street in Swanage at 12.16 am this morning for a fire involving two garden sheds.
“Two crews from Swanage attended, and two breathing apparatus wearers used two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire, which destroyed the sheds and caused some heat damage to a balcony and window of an adjacent property.
“The stop came at 1.11 am and both crews had returned to station shortly after 2 am. We don’t have a cause but it is believed to have started accidentally.”