The Swanage Community Coronavirus Response (SCCR) group has put out an urgent appeal for more volunteers to help create a network of support for Swanage’s vulnerable during the coronavirus crisis.
Across the town, neighbours are already helping each other and the group has been formed to ensure that everyone, on every street, gets the support that they need to access food and pharmacy supplies, as well as making sure no one feels on their own and isolated.
The group are asking for community-spirited people to come forward and volunteer to become District Area Coordinators.
Swanage Community Coronavirus Response group has posted this request on their Facebook group:
“Our plans to address the challenge of coronavirus in our community are progressing. We are creating a robust structure to provide a neighbourhood network across Swanage and we are now at the stage of asking for volunteers to become District Area Coordinators. The role will primarily be to coordinate road coordinators, who will be providing extra neighbourly assistance. It will be desk-based, so is suitable for anyone who is well but wishes to remain at home.”
The post goes on to outline the main responsibilities of the role:
- Be the first point of contact for road coordinators, providing appropriate support and guidance
- Be the first point of contact for other organisations wishing to access ‘street level’ assistance
- Maintain a secure database of road coordinator information in line with GDPR
- ‘Refer up’ any urgent matters that are beyond the scope of neighbourly assistance
It adds that the voluntary role would suit people with these qualities:
- Kind and supportive person who will remain calm under pressure
- Self-starter with a proactive attitude
- Excellent IT skills with ability to work collaboratively online
- Good knowledge of how to use Google Drive, Whatsapp and Facebook
- Good knowledge of Swanage
- Experience of managing volunteers. Human resources management skills desirable