Rising Swanage golfer gets dream chance to meet his sporting hero

Talented 17 year old golfer Tom Bastow from Swanage, walked in the footsteps of golfing legend Justin Rose – quite literally, when he was chosen to caddy in a group with the former world number one at Wentworth Golf Club.

Tom, who recently played in his first international match for Wales against the other home nations, was caddy in Justin Rose’s group at the celebrity Pro-Am tournament on Wednesday 8th September 2021, the day before the BMW PGA championship at Wentworth.

Tom said:

“It was an amazing experience to be able to watch and walk so close to my idol and to be able to ask him as many questions as I wanted.”

Tom made his international debut for Wales in August 2021

“Different level of golf altogether”

Tom’s international break for Wales, thanks to his mother’s family ties, is a major staging post in his career, as he hopes to follow in the sporting legend’s footsteps.

He’s been signed up for another year for Wales and intends to take up a scholarship at an American University and compete in the Junior European Open in Spain in 2022.

He said:

“It was a great experience to play internationally against top players. It’s just a different level of golf altogether. It’s what I’ve been working towards for a long time.”

Tom has been playing at the Isle of Purbeck Golf Club since he was five and still has the same coach.

Isle of Purbeck Golf
Isle of Purbeck Golf

The view from the 5th Green at the Isle of Purbeck course

“A lot of support”

He became the youngest ever junior club champion at the age of 10 and then the youngest senior men’s champion aged 16.

He said:

“The members always ask how I’m getting on. I feel I get a lot of support from them.”

Senior/ Junior Champion
Tom Bastow

Senior men’s club champion at 16, junior champion at just 10.

“Very committed”

Head Club Professional Philippe Bonfanti, originally from France, and trained in Manchester, has been working at the Isle of Purbeck club for 15 years. He’s the only coach Tom’s ever had.

Philippe said of Tom:

“He is very committed, he’s hard working and he’s been given great opportunities and made the most of them.”

Philippe Bonfanti coaching
Isle of Purbeck Golf

Club professional Philippe Bonfanti has huge respect in the game

Electrician mother

The other key figure in his golfing life is his mother Paula, a former police dog handler, who now runs Pinks Electrical in Swanage and takes him to games all over the country.

She’s been steering his career from behind the scenes from earliest days.

Tom's first lesson
Tom Bastow

First golf lesson at the age of five

“In awe”

She said:

“It’s a natural thing for parents to be proud of their child’s achievement but I’m in awe at the number of hours that he puts in.

“Philippe has been a fantastic coach who has had loads of time for him. I’m so glad I found him.”

Tom Bastow and mother Paula
Tom Bastow

Tom and mum Paula on course

Heading to America

Tom, who has a plus one handicap, is currently studying sports science at college and is hoping to take up a scholarship at an American university next year.

He and his mother put in around 6,000 miles a year travelling the country to play in matches. He recently came 28th in the elite juniors Peter McEvoy Trophy.

Proud moment – first ever tournament win

“Keep pushing forward”

Tom said:

“My mother has been a huge support. I simply wouldn’t have been able to do what I do without her.

“And Philippe must be one of the best coaches around. He just knows everything that I need to know and he’s always supporting me. We keep on pushing forward to the next goal.”

Welsh international team
Tom Bastow

The recent Welsh national team

Come a long way

Tom has certainly come a long way since those first plastic clubs in the back garden.

He said:

“I played football for a bit but had to choose between the two and luckily enough I chose golf because I wasn’t really very good at football.”

Picking up trophies is becoming a habit

“Golf is about the mental side”

And the secret to being a good golfer?:

“To be a good golfer you have to have the right attitude towards golf, on and off the course. A lot of golf is about the mental side, you’ve got to be strong mentally and stay positive all the way through.”

Contact us

Do you have anything to add to this story?

We like to keep everything up-to-date, so if you know more, please help us by getting in touch.

Top stories

Dorset on ‘full standby’ as crowds head to the beach during heatwave With the temperature set to soar, Dorset Council says it’s prepared for the expected visitors and has put in measures to ensure everyone can enjoy a safe trip to the ... 1 month ago Studland cut off as fire breaks out across tinder dry heath 5 days ago Fire crews stay overnight damping down hotspots after Studland fire 4 days ago Swanage Carnival announces new events for 2022 2 months ago Dorset Police update on assault outside Swanage bar 3 weeks ago

Most recent

Welcome return for Wareham Wednesdays as pirates invade! The major summer fundraiser for Wareham in Dorset - a series of Wednesdays in August with music, funfair stalls and fireworks at the quay - is back after three years. 2 hours ago Songwriter returns to Swanage for ‘the most beautiful views’ 1 day ago Church Knowle fete draws crowds and runs out of vital supplies! 2 days ago Studland fire: Cars towed after driving over water hose to park 3 days ago Campfire and barbecue found at scene of Studland Heath fire 4 days ago