Following a fire at the back of the supermarket, the Co-op in Swanage is closed to customers until 10 am on Sunday 16th May 2021, while staff assess the damage.
The incident happened at the newly refurbished store just after noon on Saturday 15th May 2021, when a fire started in the plant room – an area not accessible to customers.
Swanage Fire crew was quick to arrive
Swanage Fire crew was alerted at 12.39 pm and quickly on the scene as the fire station is next door.
Wareham Fire crew then arrived, followed by a crew from Westbourne.
There were no visible signs of damage to the exterior of the plant room at the back of the Co-op
“A fire started in the plant room”
A spokesperson from Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue said:
“Crews from Swanage, Wareham and Westbourne attended a fire at a supermarket in Swanage when a fire started in the plant room of the building.
“Crews used two CO2 extinguishers, two lots of breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet, a safety jet, gas monitoring equipment and a thermal imaging camera.”
It’s understood that no one was hurt in the incident.