Swanage crew called to “extremely careless” heath fire

Fire crews from around Dorset including Swanage Fire Station, have been tackling an extensive heath blaze caused by a disposable barbecue.

The fire started yesterday afternoon in Puddletown Forest, just north east of Dorchester, after a member of the public decided to have a barbecue and then it got out of control.

Ten appliances

The extent of the fire meant that ten appliances were called to the scene with crews from Swanage, Wimborne, Dorchester, Wareham, Poole, Hamworthy, Weymouth and Blandford.

Fire at Puddletown Forest
Dorset and Wiltshire FRS

The Swanage crew was initially mobilised to cover for the Wareham appliance that was tackling the fire, then at 6.05 pm on Sunday 26th April 2020, it was called to the scene and spent several hours dampening down the smoldering gorse.

Barbecue at Puddletown Forset fire
Dorset and Wiltshire FRS

Swanage Fire Station said:

“The fire is believed to have been started by a disposable barbecue, which is extremely careless at the best of times but even more so at the moment.”

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue added:

“This caused a large forest fire, burning gorse and heath and also destroyed wildlife. Please follow government guidance and only go outdoors when necessary, this will help us and prevent these damaging, resource-intensive fires starting.”

Puddletown Forest fire
Dorset and Wiltshire FRS
Scorched heath after Puddletown Forest fire
Swanage Fire Station

Share this story

Contact us

Do you have anything to add to this story?

We like to keep everything up-to-date, so if you know more, please help us by getting in touch.

Community comments

Top stories

Crisis in Swanage care home as residents and staff get Covid Wordsworth House Care Home in Swanage is appealing for more qualified staff to come to their aid after 34 residents and 30 staff tested positive for coronavirus. 1 month ago Swanage Coastguard subjected to “unnecessary aggression” 2 weeks ago Lockdown 3 – Swanage takeaway and shops to get you through the worst sequel ever 2 months ago Swanage seafront hit by large waves and flying sea foam 2 weeks ago Urgent appeal as pandemic impacts staffing at local hospitals 4 weeks ago

Most recent

Swanage councillors disown leaflet about proposed gypsy site Councillor Gary Suttle and councillor Bill Trite who represent Swanage on Dorset Council say they did not write a leaflet that objects to a proposed gypsy site in Swanage. 12 hours ago Ban on barbecues put on back burner by Dorset Council 1 day ago January – worst month for Covid deaths in Swanage 2 days ago Lulworth Estate demands better manners from visitors this summer 3 days ago Free PPE for Swanage’s unpaid carers 3 days ago