Swanage Fire crews tackle chimney fire as weather gets colder

A chimney caught alight at a cottage in Rempstone near Corfe Castle and was extinguished by crews from Swanage Fire Station.

The incident happened on a cold and rainy afternoon on Friday 30th September 2022, after a wood burner was lit.

Advertisement 
Fire crew at Chimney fire in Rempstone
Swanage Fire Station

Removed the wood burner

The fire crews headed towards the fire at the old stone cottage at 3.55 pm. Swanage Fire Station reported:

“Both pumps were sent to a chimney fire at a property in Rempstone. The fire was extinguished by removing the wood burner and using a hose reel jet from the roof.”

Fire crew at Chimney fire in Rempstone
Swanage Fire Station
Fire crew at Chimney fire in Rempstone
Swanage Fire Station

Sweep the chimney before lighting your first fire this autumn

Debris, old soot and even birds’ nests can build up in a chimney over summer, and if it’s not properly swept, it can catch alight when a fire is lit in the hearth come autumn.

Swanage Fire Station added:

“With the change in the weather, many people will be lighting their fires for the first time. Please make sure they are swept and cleaned before doing so.”

Fire crew at Chimney fire in Rempstone
Swanage Fire Station

Share this story

Contact us

Do you have anything to add to this story?

We like to keep everything up-to-date, so if you know more, please help us by getting in touch.

Advertisement 

Top stories

‘Severe damage’ to Sandbanks Ferry delays its return to 2023 The ferry that normally operates between Sandbanks and Studland has been badly damaged while being towed to Falmouth for planned maintenance. 3 weeks ago Swanage man and Corfe Castle woman jailed after drug gang bust 3 days ago National Trust to demolish Studland beach cafe due to coastal erosion 2 weeks ago What’s on in Swanage for Christmas 2022 1 month ago Car crashes into terraced house in Swanage 3 weeks ago

Most recent