Warning after battery starts fire at Dorset Council depot

Dorset Council is warning residents not to put household batteries in bins after one caught fire at a council waste depot.

The combustion was caught on a CCTV camera at Sherborne waste station, when a vacuum cleaner battery ignited.

Advertisement 

The council warns that, while this fire flickered out quickly, a far more severe blaze could have caught hold.

On social media, it said:

“This is CCTV footage of a battery from a vacuum cleaner that combusted at our waste transfer station in Sherborne. Luckily the fire didn’t get a chance to take hold, but it could have been much worse.”

Dispose of batteries properly

Dorset Council says that anyone looking to dispose of used batteries must not put them in a bin, as this could risk an even worse accident.

Instead they should be placed in a battery bag or taken to a household recycling centre and placed in the appropriate area.

Battery bags can be placed at the kerbside at the same time as your usual recycling collection.

To request a battery bag, visit the Dorset Council website here.

Watch the video

Share this story

Contact us

Do you have anything to add to this story?

We like to keep everything up-to-date, so if you know more, please help us by getting in touch.

Advertisement 

Top stories

Most recent

Parents warned after illegal drugs seized in Swanage raids Colourful pouches containing cannabis but designed to look like sweet packets have been seized from several addresses in Swanage in Dorset. 10 hours ago Swanage Library to reduce opening hours on Saturdays 1 day ago Medieval cargo of Purbeck stone is raised from Studland Bay 2 days ago Swanage remembers D-Day sacrifice 80 years on 3 days ago Eight candidates compete to become next MP for South Dorset 4 days ago