This year, 2020 has been a year to remember because of the coronavirus pandemic but there were plenty of other things happening in Swanage – test your knowledge to be in with a chance to win £50 cash!
The questions are all about our town and the surrounding area, so Swanage.News’ Top Fans will be at a distinct advantage as many of the answers can be found in the news articles over the last year but not all!
Winning entry will receive £50 cash
Do it just for fun or send in your answers to Swanage News and the winning entry will receive £50 cash.
Remember to answer the tie breaker question. All answers must be emailed to email@example.com by 11 pm Friday 1st January 2021.
The winner’s name will be announced on Sunday 3rd January 2021 on the Swanage.News website, along with the answers. Editor’s decision is final.
What have you got to lose?!
The Swanage.News quiz 2020
- You are likely to have heard of the Sandbanks Ferry but what is her actual name?
- Mike Bonfield is the current Swanage Town Mayor but who is his current deputy?
- SCCR is the acronym for a new organisation that was set up in Swanage in March 2020. What do the initials stand for?
- Planning permission was granted in October 2020 to re-erect a large obelisk in Swanage. Who is it in memory of?
- Name the company that was responsible for creating the new paving on the recently widened pavements in Institute Road?
- Who was the Swanage Town Mayor in 1995, when a passenger train travelled between Swanage and Corfe Castle Railway Stations for the first time since the reinstatement of the rail track?
- What animals are to be introduced to the Studland dunes in 2021 to help restore the natural dune landscape?
- Name the local artist who kayaked across Swanage Bay in October 2020 to highlight the consequences of overfishing in our seas?
- The new community radio station for Purbeck celebrated its one year anniversary in August 2020. What frequency does it broadcast on?
- Who is hoping his show will go on in January at The Mowlem, after his performance had to be cancelled on Friday 13th November 2020 because of the second lockdown?
- What make is the current film projector used to show films at Swanage’s theatre, The Mowlem?
- Who received the Gold Visit England Award for Excellence 2020 for accessible and inclusive tourism?
- What is the name of the new café that opened in Institute Road in Swanage in December 2020?
- Just before lockdown in March 2020, the Blues Festival in Swanage went ahead. What were the names of the two musicians that opened the festival at The Legion?
- In September 2020, The National Crime Agency spent a week focussing on breaking up drug gangs. It was reported that the operation in Dorset resulted in the arrest of nine people and the confiscation of illegal drugs, money and among other items, a car. What was the make of the car?
- 2020 was a year of cancellations and the Swanage Carnival was one of the biggest events in Swanage to be cancelled. What is the date for the Swanage Carnival in 2021?
- Swanage Market on Friday mornings is a popular place to shop. Where is it located?
- During the first lockdown, the Sandbanks Ferry stopped operating and was moored in Poole Harbour for safety. In May 2020, what object unexpectedly detached from the fixed jetty and fell into the ferry causing damage?
- The Steam and Lights spectacular at Swanage Railway has been a massive success. On the days that the service has been operating in December 2020, there have been two journeys most evenings. What are the two scheduled departure times from Swanage Railway Station?
- On Thursday 25th June 2020, an estimated half a million people flocked to Bournemouth’s beaches resulting in a major incident being declared. What Purbeck Breezer bus route number was severely delayed along Ferry Road in Studland due to the vast number of parked cars?
- It was revealed in December 2020, that an ichthyosaur discovered near Kimmeridge Bay by Steve Etches, was a new species and it was named as Thalassodraco etchesi. What does Thalassodraco mean?
- After the first lockdown restrictions were lifted, how many callouts did the Swanage Lifeboat crew receive between 1st June and 31st August 2020 according to official figures released by the RNLI?
- Around what date in 2021 is the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccination programme against COVID-19 expected to start at Wareham Hospital for Purbeck residents, according to the Purbeck Primary Care Network?
- Who presents Home Alone on the community radio station, Purbeck Coast?
- Who are the two Swanage-based women who won the Independent Food and Drink category at the Successful Women in Business Awards 2020?
- An adventurer, who took part in Channel 4’s Hunted TV programme, stopped off in Swanage in August 2020 as part of a world record breaking attempt to circumnavigate Great Britain on a paddleboard. He has recently had to end the attempt in Scotland. What reason did he give for having to stop?
- The new general manager for the National Trust in Purbeck started in January 2020. What is her name?
- Which pub near Swanage opened a deli named after the family cat in October 2020?
- What is the name of the passenger ferry that was built in 1974 and returned to Swanage in September 2020, offering trips from Swanage Pier to Bournemouth?
- Photo question – Where in Swanage is this located? See image below.
To be in with a chance of winning £50 cash, please complete the tie breaker question.
This glass Kilner jar (see photos below) is full of pebbles and shells from Swanage Beach. The external dimensions of the jar are: height 18 centimetres (7 inches) and diameter of jar’s base 9 centimetres (3.5 inches)
How many pebbles and shells are in the jar?
This question will only be used in the event of a tie and the person with the nearest answer will be the winner. In the event of a draw, names will be picked out of a hat.