Chimney blaze at Studland hotel tackled by fire crews

Swanage and Wareham Fire crews were called out to the historic building and former home of the Bankes family, who used to own most of Studland in Dorset.

A chimney had caught fire at the premises, now known as the Pig on the Beach Hotel in Studland.

Advertisement 
Chimney Fire at Pig on the Beach in Studland
Swanage fire station

“The chimney was well alight”

Swanage Fire Station was called out at 9.47 am on Monday 21st March 2022 .

A crew from Wareham was also mobilised to ensure safety when tackling a fire up on the roof.

Swanage Fire Station reported:

“One pump from Swanage attended a fire at a premises in Studland. On arrival the chimney was well alight and an assistance message was sent.

“A pump from Wareham was mobilised and both crews extinguished the fire using a chimney kit and a hose reel on the roof.”

Chimney Fire at Pig on the Beach in Studland
Swanage fire station

Summer residence of the Bankes Family

The hotel was originally built in the late nineteenth century as a summer residence for the Bankes Family.

As landed gentry, the family owned buildings in Studland as well as Corfe Castle and Kingston Lacey near Wimborne in Dorset.

In 1981, the family estate was bequeathed to the National Trust, and in 2014, the historic building was taken over by the Pig Hotel Group.

The Pig on the Beach,
Jake Eastham
Chimney Fire at Pig on the Beach in Studland
Swanage fire station

Share this story

Contact us

Do you have anything to add to this story?

We like to keep everything up-to-date, so if you know more, please help us by getting in touch.

Advertisement 

Top stories

Flying Scotsman locomotive to make return trip to Swanage The most famous and iconic steam locomotive in the world is to return to Swanage Railway for a visit this autumn. 1 month ago Climber dies after fall near Dancing Ledge 2 weeks ago Swanage’s seafront road to stay closed to traffic this winter 1 week ago Planning starts for revamp of Swanage seafront 3 days ago Huge queue for Swanage Town Council toilet meeting 4 weeks ago

Most recent

Swanage Fire crews tackle chimney fire as weather gets colder A chimney caught alight at a cottage in Rempstone near Corfe Castle and was extinguished by crews from Swanage Fire Station. 13 hours ago Purbeck Cider Company back from the brink of disaster 2 days ago Planning starts for revamp of Swanage seafront 3 days ago Entries open for new Purbeck business awards 4 days ago Tractor and power tools stolen from Wareham beauty spot 5 days ago