Fire badly damages flat in Swanage

A person was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a flat in the centre of Swanage in the early hours of the morning.

Fire crews from Swanage and Wareham and an ambulance were called to the property at 4.33 am on Monday 8th February 2021.

The blaze was in a bedroom in a flat over a shop in the High Street.

Swanage Fire Station reported:

“Both pumps and one from Wareham attended a bedroom fire in a premises in the town centre. The room was badly damaged by heat and smoke and was extinguished using two sets of breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet.

“One occupant was treated for smoke inhalation but not taken to hospital.”

A Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue spokesperson said that the bedroom was heavily smoke logged and the flat’s occupant had to be given oxygen by the crews. They added that the ambulance service took over the care of the person, once they had arrived at the scene.

Share this story

Contact us

Do you have anything to add to this story?

We like to keep everything up-to-date, so if you know more, please help us by getting in touch.

Community comments

Top stories

Swanage Coastguard subjected to “unnecessary aggression” After an eventful week of landslips, high winds and flooding, Swanage Coastguard says safety measures are only put in place to help protect lives. 3 weeks ago Swanage seafront hit by large waves and flying sea foam 3 weeks ago Swanage outdoor centre makes all staff redundant due to Covid 1 month ago Swanage Coastguard witness landslip as large rocks fall on beach 4 weeks ago Spectacular ice show makes up for no snow in Swanage 4 weeks ago

Most recent