Following the success of the first Purbeck Business Awards in 2023, entries are now open for 2024 and there’s some new categories.
The grassroots business awards, which are free to enter, recognise the quality and range of businesses across Purbeck, as well as aiming to give a boost during a challenging economic time.
Purbeck Business Awards winners in February 2023
Giving a boost to local business
This will be the second Purbeck Business Awards to take place, with last year’s winners including Swanage businesses Cumulus Outdoors, Land and Wave, Purbeck New Wave Gallery, Purbeck Jobs and Purbeck House Hotel.
At the launch on Thursday 12th October 2023 at Not Just Sundaes in Wareham, it was revealed by the organisers Marketing West Events, that there will be 14 categories this time, with a new category of self employed / freelancer of the year.
There’s also a new sponsor, the Swanage based company Chococo, which is backing the young entrepreneur / rising star category.
The overall winner last year was the outdoor company Land and Wave based in Swanage
Categories to enter
- Green / eco-business
- Café, pub, casual dining
- Excellence in customer service
- Family business of the year
- B2B business of the year
- Independent business
- New business of the year
- Restaurant of the year
- B and B / guest house of the year
- Business of the year (less than 10 employees)
- Self employed / freelancer of the year
- Best place to work
- Young entrepreneur / rising star
- Best tourism attraction / experience
From the winners of each category, an overall winner will be chosen.
Nigel Reeve from Marketing West Events (left) with the Swanage Town mayor Tina Foster (centre) and the Wareham Town mayor Malcolm Russell (right) at the awards ceremony in February 2023 held at Kingston Country Courtyard near Corfe Castle
“The winners are the stars of the awards, not the event”
As well as the Purbeck Business Awards, Marketing West Events organises grassroots business awards across Dorset including Bournemouth, Poole, Ringwood, Christchurch, Gillingham, Wimborne, Dorchester, Weymouth, Portland, Bridport, Shaftesbury, Sherborne, Lyme/Charmouth, and Ferndown, plus regional awards in West, North and East Dorset.
Nigel Reeve from Marketing West Events said:
“It was great to see some familiar faces at the launch of the 2024 Purbeck Business Awards – yes, they’re now open and to be honest we’re on a mission to see if any of our awards can beat the amazing 460 entries and nominations we got at last year’s Weymouth awards. Come on Purbeck, we really think you can do it!
“The awards remain focused on promoting the range and quality of local businesses, as they’re the backbone of our local economy and the awards really want to recognise this. We believe the winners are the stars of the awards, not the event, which is held at lunchtime.
“The quality of entries for the 2023 Purbeck Business Awards was exceptionally high and what was really pleasing was the number of one or two person businesses that entered. It’s free to enter or nominate a business and we’re encouraging as many as possible to take part.
“We’d also love to hear from more sponsors, especially local businesses who’d like to get involved, so please get in touch!”
Watch top tips for entrants
- Entrance is free and a business can enter as many categories as they wish. Also clients and customers can nominate a business. The winner will not necessarily be the one with the most nominations – it’s what they say which is important
- The deadline for entries is Friday 22nd December 2023
- The awards ceremony will be at lunchtime on Thursday 8th February 2024 at The Mowlem in Swanage. It is open to all and places are at cost price
- To enter or nominate, go to the Purbeck Business Awards website