A Swanage family had a lucky escape from their blazing home thanks to working smoke alarms which woke them up in the early hours of Sunday 20th August 2023.
Both pumps from Swanage Fire Station, with support from a Wareham fire engine, were rushed to the blaze in Steer Road, Swanage, at 3.30am to find the property well alight.
The overnight fire caused severe damage to the house in Steer Road
Crews used breathing apparatus and hose reel jets to control the fire
Alerted by working smoke alarms
A spokesman for Swanage Fire Station said:
“Upon our arrival, the property was well alight and our crews worked hard to control the fire, which was extinguished using two hose reel jets, a main line and six breathing apparatus.
“The occupants were alerted by working smoke alarms which helped them escape the property in time. The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental and fire investigation is ongoing.”
Fire engines on site at the scene of the emergency on Sunday 20th August 2023
Locals are asked to look out for the family’s two cats which have not been seen since the fire
Family cats missing since fire
A spokesman for Wareham Fire Station added:
“This illustrates the importance of smoke alarms – they are the easiest way to alert you to the danger of fire, giving you precious time to escape, but only if they work.
“A few seconds is all it takes to test your smoke alarms and it’s something that everyone should do regularly. In any case, people should replace their smoke alarms after ten years, as they don’t last forever.”
The family have two pet cats, one black and one tabby, which have not been seen since the fire and locals are asked to look out for them.