Swanage Fire crew rescue woman and dog from town centre fire

A woman and her dog had to be given oxygen after a fire broke out in a building in the centre of Swanage.

Both of Swanage Fire Station’s pumps were called to the incident Just before 7 pm on Thursday 4th November 2021.

Advertisement 

There was a small fire in the kitchen of the property on the High Street.

Swanage Fire Station pump
Library image / Swanage Fire Station

Pet oxygen mask

Sam the dog was able to be treated using a pet oxygen mask that is specially designed to fit over the snout of an animal.

These masks are provided by a non-profit organisation called Smokey Paws that was created to help save the lives of pets from breathing in smoke.

Swanage Fire crew with rescued dog
Swanage Fire Station

Sam the dog rescued by a Swanage firefighter

“Taken to hospital by ambulance”

Swanage Fire Station reported:

“One lady suffered smoke inhalation and was given oxygen by crews before being taken to hospital by ambulance.

“Her pet dog was also given oxygen using the Smokey Paws kit.

“We wish the lady and Sam, the pet dog, a speedy recovery.

“Thank you as always to our colleagues from South Western Ambulance Service for their help.”

Share this story

Contact us

Do you have anything to add to this story?

We like to keep everything up-to-date, so if you know more, please help us by getting in touch.

Advertisement 

Top stories

Most recent

Chance to come and sing in Swanage with top musicians New dates have been announced for the opportunity to tune up the vocal cords and get expert tuition from distinguished church musicians at St Mary’s Church. 15 hours ago New Salt Pig eatery in Studland replaces old Middle Beach cafe 2 days ago Power lines to be buried to restore beauty spot near Swanage 3 days ago Watch out for ‘floating terrors’ washing up on Purbeck beaches 4 days ago Swanage woman jailed for stealing cash from Dorset Police 5 days ago