The chance to sell ice cream and snacks along Swanage seafront in Dorset is being offered to businesses, along with other opportunities on Swanage Town Council owned land including the car parks.
Since the termination of the lease in summer 2023 to sell ice cream from kiosks on Swanage Main Beach, the council has received lots of enquiries from business owners keen to take over the opportunity.
The ice cream kiosk near The Mowlem will be removed and the opportunity for a similar catering facility is being offered on the nearby hardstanding area
Expressions of interest invited
There’s also been enquiries from businesses wanting to offer other services at locations across the town, so now Swanage Town Council is seeking expressions of interest for up to eight commercial opportunities that could be in place in time for Easter 2024.
Most offer the chance to provide catering but the council is also looking for businesses wanting to offer an activity facility on the hardstanding area on Shore Road and a summer attraction at Day’s Park.
Two opportunities available on the hardstanding area – one is for a catering facility presumably ice cream and snacks and the second for an activity – possibly a sauna for the swimmers?
The area above the hardstanding outside the Santa-Fe Fun Park has plenty of potential with great sea views – ideas invited!
New opportunities on the hardstanding area on Shore Road
What won’t be on offer is the chance to sell ice cream from the beach kiosk near to The Mowlem.
The kiosk belongs to the old concession holders and is expected to be removed soon.
The decision has been made to locate a new ice cream and snack kiosk on the nearby hardstanding area instead, so it won’t be disrupted by any future work on the beach to replenish the sand or to improve flood defences.
Journey’s End at Day’s Park is available to host a summer attraction
North Beach car park could have a catering facility maybe in conjunction with a summer attraction?
“Deliver exciting changes”
A spokesperson for Swanage Town Council said:
“The council is looking for innovative solutions that will help deliver exciting changes to the areas specified. Businesses may look to combine the various opportunities in different ways.
“Alternative proposals that meet the general approach presented in this document, may be considered by the council. Businesses may submit more than one expression of interest, if they so wish.”
A catering facility in Main Beach car park near to the skate park and children’s playground would get plenty of footfall, especially on the Friday during the market and during the summer when the car park gets packed
- Main Beach car park – A temporary catering facility. The council is offering a one year trial licence with a review thereafter
- Swanage Hardstanding – Catering facility. A kiosk/unit serving food throughout the year. The council is offering a licence of up to seven years. The unit must be removed for a short time during each 12 month period
- Swanage Hardstanding – Activity facility. A kiosk/unit offering an activity, ideally one that will be used throughout the year. The council is offering a licence of up to seven years. The unit must be removed for a short time during each 12 month period.
- Concrete area above the Hardstanding – Offers welcome. The council is offering a licence of up to seven years. Any structure must be removed for a short time during each 12 month period
- Broad Road car park – A temporary catering facility. The council is offering a one year trial licence with review thereafter
- Swanage Main Beach – Northern kiosk. A catering facility located on the wooden beach platform. The Council is offering a three year licence with review thereafter. Any structure must be removed for a short time during each 12 month period
- Day’s Park North Beach car park – A temporary catering facility. The council is offering a one-year trial licence with review thereafter.
- Day’s Park Journey’s End – A summer attraction located on the field for the summer holiday period. A summer licence will be provided for one year.
Broad Road car park – probably the best view from a town centre car park in the UK! Just the place to sit and have a cup of tea
Licences for successful operators are expected to be finalised at the end of January 2024 with concession start dates anticipated from Easter 2024.
The closing date for ‘Expressions of Interest’ is 12 noon on Tuesday 31st October 2023. All submissions should be forwarded to Swanage Town Council business development officer Jayne Moulder, using the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
- Swanage Town Council tender document