With a thriving Royal British Legion branch in Swanage in Dorset, there’s a whole programme of events to raise money and awareness in the run up to Remembrance Sunday.
Not only is there a pop up poppy shop in Station Road but also for 2023, there’s a quiz evening, coffee morning, craft fair and live music at the Swanage branch of the Royal British Legion (RBL) in the High Street, as well as the services at St Mary’s Church and the war memorial.
Carolyn Hooper (right) serves customer Faith Perkins (left) in the pop up poppy shop
“Remember, respect and support”
Remembrance Sunday on Sunday 12th November 2023 is when British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women, who served in the two World Wars and later conflicts are remembered.
Organising many of the Poppython events in the run up to Remembrance Sunday is Swanage resident Carolyn Hooper, alongside the Legion’s club steward David ‘Elmo’ Elm, who’s booked the live music and disco.
Swanage resident Carolyn Hooper said:
“We like to remember, respect and support all those in the armed forces, both the past and present.
“That’s why it’s really crucial that we raise funds for the Royal British Legion so it can continue its work. The money goes to helping where it’s needed, whether that’s physical or mental wellbeing or giving financial and employment support.
“We have a fantastic team in Swanage and all have some link to the armed forces. It’s so important to us and we’d love people to support us by either popping into the shop or coming along to the events. Everyone is welcome!”
Lots to buy in the shop
Paul has been out and about in Station Road selling poppies, raising vital funds for the Legion
RBL events 2023
Thursday 9th November
- Fundraising night quiz from 7.30 pm at the Swanage Legion
Friday 10th November
- RBL coffee morning from 10 am at the Swanage Legion
- Live music by Generation ‘79 from 8 pm at the Swanage Legion
Saturday 11th November
- Armistice service at the war memorial from 10.45 am
- Two minutes silence at 11 am
- RBL Poppy Fair from 10 am at the Swanage Legion
- Live music by Total Madness from 5 pm and Vintage Dogs from 8.30 pm at the Swanage Legion
Sunday 12th November
- Remembrance Parade. Meet at Shore Road at 1.45 pm. March off 2 pm. Church service at St Mary’s 2.30 pm. War memorial laying of wreaths 4 pm. Return to Swanage Legion 5 pm
- Live music by DJ Carlos Fandango from 6 pm at the Swanage Legion
Willing volunteers left to right: Carolyn Hooper, Linda Dodds and Biddy Hardy
The pop up poppy shop is in Harlees in Station Road near The Mowlem
Lots of gifts and poppies to buy
This year, the Swanage pop up poppy shop is in part of the fish and chip shop Harlees in Station Road with lots of gifts and poppies to buy, along with a raffle. It will be there until Thursday 9th November 2023, when it will move to the Swanage Legion. Carolyn Hooper added:
“This is a great hub for our Poppython and I’d really like to thank the staff of Harlees for their support. The only issue has been trying not to eat too many chips!”
Swanage war memorial on the Recreation Ground overlooking Swanage Bay
Donations may be made to the Swanage branch of the RBL via the QR code.
- The pop up poppy shop is at Harlees, 2 to 6 Station Road, Swanage BH19 1AE until Thursday 9th November 2023
- The Swanage branch of the Royal British Legion is at 150 High Street, Swanage, Dorset BH19 2PA with more details about events on its website